D2018
Level 2

In short, the box on dependent tax return "tax payer can be claimed as a dependent" was not checked when it should have been. This return was submitted first, then the parent who claimed the dependent. Parent return was rejected for e-filing. Basically the dependent return now needs to be amended and paper filed and the parent return also needs to be paper filed. Has anybody else run into this? Is this the only way to fix? any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Yep...I've had it happen.

You have two amended returns to do and they both have to be paper-filed.  IF the kid is getting refund, tell them NOT to cash the check.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
D2018
Level 2
Ahh, thanks, i'm glad not the only one. Something so easy made into a hassle.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Yep...and if there are refunds they'll be a long time coming as the IRS takes forever to process amended returns.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
We had one the other day that a bunch of kids thought it would be great if they did their own returns at school one day.  Luckily, we only do the returns for one of the parents because I'm guessing there were a bunch of returns that got messed up by this group of future Rhodes scholars.  

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

If I have clients that I do their return, but they want to do the kids returns (or, have the kids learn to do them) I physically confiscate the W-2's to prevent this situation.

If I'm doing the parents & the kids, I *always* file the parental returns first.  It's saved my butt a few times.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers