USTaxfromCanada
Level 2

The client does not have EIN for their foreign entity which needs to file Form 5471.

Under Critical Diagnostics, it says, The "Employer ID number" of the Foreign Corporation is either missing or invalid. Acceptable entries are "Applied For", "Foreign US" or a valid 9 digit number.  

However, there is no way to input "Foreign US" in that box.  Is there some way around this?  Or maybe does Lacerte allow you to e-file without an EIN?

Thank you in advance.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Try ForeignUS  - no space.

It does work for efiling in Lacerte.

Ex-AllStar
USTaxfromCanada
Level 2

It will only let you put in numerical values in the box so you cannot type any letters in the EIN box. 

I will give Lacerte a try.  Thank you!

0 Cheers
jmarkham
Level 3

Did you find out what goes in the box if they foreign entity doesn't have a taxpayer number to resolve the error?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Do what @sjrcpa said

Screenshot (3).png

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
frnkeeee
Level 1

ProSeries

Foreign FEIN non-existent and an Error message comes up?  Put ForeignUS then EFile with the Errors suppressed. I have also made up a bogus FEIN and explained this was not the FEIN and there wasn't any to be had, I did this just so the software works both methods worked but the ForeignUS version is classier, right?   

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

ForeignUS is the recommended option.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

@frnkeeee Welcome to the forum, but be sure to pick your product (ProSeries) before doing the search. You landed on a solution for Lacerte, not ProSeries

https://proconnect.intuit.com/support/en-us/help-search?filter=ProSeries+Basic&filter=ProSeries+Prof...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers