Jaye
Level 3

3168.JPG

State Refund Wkst.JPG

The amount I inputted in 1099-G was $3,168.

I checked "itemized deduction 2019".

But I can't find the number from neither the state refund taxable worksheet nor 1040 line 8 - other income.

Why is that so?

Did I do something wrong?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

I see you mentioned a 1099-G, which I am guessing is a 2020 document.

I see a screen image for what might be 2019 tax prep.

I see a screen image for 2021 reporting, that I am guessing is from tax year 2020 tax prep.

I see a value of over $3k which seems to includes Credits and/or Offsets, which would not be part of a 1099-G by definition.

I see a bunch of different things that don't necessarily relate or impact each other.

Can you give a better narrative explanation of the concern, or did this help?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
Jaye
Level 3

It was 2020 Tax prep.

First screen was 1099 G input (2019 State income tax refund of $3,168)

The second screen is 2020 tax file worksheet. 

I don't see $3,168 was included as 2020 income anywhere...

0 Cheers
Jaye
Level 3

Let me put it this way.

I inputted 2019 State income tax refund amount ($3,168 1099 G amount).

But I can't find schedule 1 line 10 - state and local income tax refund worksheet.

I want to check the calculation of how much portion would be taxable.

I can't find the number of $3,168 in any final form.

I'm worried if I missed anything.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

"The second screen is 2020 tax file worksheet. "

It's the worksheet showing how much of the 2020 state tax refund will be taxable in 2021.

There should be a similar worksheet for the 2019 refund. Or find it in the 2019 return.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

fjordkarp42U
Level 1

A taxpayer's filing status changed in 2020 from MFS to Single. In the 2020 worksheet on state and local refunds taxable in 2021, the allowable sales tax allowance is based on MFS limits -- not Single limits. I managed to remove the income allocation codes embedded in Section 3.1 Income Allocation Details, but that did not correct the allowable sales tax deduction. I would appreciate help from someone familiar with how to completely remove any reference to former spouse in a community property state (California) so that such items as the allowable sales tax deduction can be calculated correctly.

0 Cheers