Reinafe
Level 2

My customer qualifies to file HOH since she is considered as "unmarried" at end of the year.  When I choose HOH filing status, her tax return gets rejected with code R0000-503-02.  Will she need to paper file? 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

What is the explanation associated with that reject code?

Ex-AllStar
Reinafe
Level 2
Error message: Spouse SSN and Spouse Name Control in the return must match the e-File database.
Solution: For e-file purposes, the Spouse's SSN must match the e-File database for the Spouse's Name Control. Verify that the SSN has been entered correctly and make sure not to include any dashes in either names of the Spouse. If present, remove any dashes and re-submit this return electronically.
Code: R0000-503-02
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Do you have a spouse entered? If so, why?

Ex-AllStar
Reinafe
Level 2

There is no spouse entered.  I initially entered it because they filed MFJ last year (I was using a different software last year).  Then when I verified that she qualifies for HOH, I deleted the spouse information. 

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Some spouse info must still be in there even if you can't see it.

PTO is based on Lacerte. Do you have the ability to see codes by using Ctrl W? If so, do it when you are in the spouse info section and see if there is any data there to delete.

Ex-AllStar
Reinafe
Level 2

You're correct. I looked at the 1040 again and it has the spouse's SSN. I checked everywhere and I don't know how to delete it.  I tried Ctrl+W but it is to close the window.  Thank you very much for helping me with this!

sjrcpa
Level 15

Maybe a PTO user can help. @itonewbie 

?

Ex-AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@Reinafe wrote:

You're correct. I looked at the 1040 again and it has the spouse's SSN. I checked everywhere and I don't know how to delete it.  I tried Ctrl+W but it is to close the window.  Thank you very much for helping me with this!

That tells me you did not actually delete the spouse's data:

1. Click on General > Client Information;
  2. Change Filing Status to either 2=Married filing jointly or 3=Married filing separately.  The section for Spouse Information will then be shown again;
  3. Delete whatever data you still have under Spouse Information; and
  4. Change Filing Status back to 4=Head of household.

This should, hopefully, resolve your problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Hugosky2
Level 3

question her if ex spouse has file married separate or else interview client on every avenue to find out more info. sometimes they want to claim Hof H becouse the credit but they cannot  I reject several new clients coming over therefore Questioned, questioned. 

0 Cheers
thetaxguy305
Level 3

Where do you click General?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

General is in the navigation panel on the left.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Reinafe
Level 2

The spouse's information were all deleted on the main screen.  I finally found the SSN in the miscellaneous screen.  IRS has accepted the return.

Thanks everyone for the help!

itonewbie
Level 15

Good to know and thanks for the update, @Reinafe!

Still an AllStar
dtom
Level 1

how to delete spouse information on form 1040

information

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Open Client Information

Be sure you select 2=Married Filing Joint

Roll down to Spouse information and click on each of the fields, highlight the data and press the Del button on your keyboard to delete

When all references for Spouse Information are black, then go back up to Filing Status and select HOH or Single or ...

If only life were this easy!

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns