GodFather
Level 8

MFJ, older clients, want to, for the first time ever, gift their 4 children, children’s spouses, and possibly grandchildren amount more than $15,000 each.  It could be well above that amount and they do not plan to pay an educational institution directly.  I’ve never completed form 709 but I have researched it.  A few questions:

• Assuming each spouse gives $15,000 or less to each child, each child’s spouse, each grandchild, they would not need to complete form 709?
  • Assuming each spouse gave each child, each child’s spouse, each grandchild $15,001 or more,  form 709 would be required? 
  • If they do need to complete form 709, I assume the reporting would be on Schedule A and each spouse would provide information for the gifts they made?  
  • The gifts would be below the lifetime gift exclusion.  Must this be reported anywhere or is that all reflected within Schedule A?

I will suggest to my clients that they keep the gifts at or below $15,000 for each family member.  Assuming they want to gift more, I would appreciate your advice on completing form 709.

0 Cheers