jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Does anyone know why filling out the entries for a K-1 form issued to a taxpayer would trigger ProSeries to generate Form 3115 and ask me a series of questions on why the taxpayer is requesting a change of accounting, when no such change is being requested?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

That is weird.

I think I would delete the K-1 and 3115, then re-enter the K-1 one box at a time to see EXACTLY when the 3115 is being triggered.

PATAX
Level 15

The program does that once in awhile and it is apparently a glitch ...did that recently for me on nonprofit return when it asked for an explanation in the changing of the  inventory method when there was no change in the method or valuation....

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

How did you e-file the return then?  I have tried deleting the Form 3115, but it keeps coming back up with errors showing for the blank entries.  If the errors are there, I cannot e-file the return.

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

I typed in " beginning inventory and closing inventory both valued at cost as before" or something similar... And I just e-filed the return with this on the so called "explanation form" that the software produced.... Not sure if you can do that in your case...

IRonMaN
Level 15

But have you tried deleting the K-1 and started a new K-1 from scratch?

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, this is what worked for me.  I saved the return under a new new file name, deleted the K-1, then inputted it again.  This time, no 3115 crap.  Seems like the other poster who noted this was a glitch in the program was correct and the glitch only occurs randomly.