DENNYCARR
Level 3

It appears that Proseries automatically adjusted the federal return to credit $10,200 for unemployment compensation.  And it appears that the federal return figures flowed through to the state returns.  I want to reach out to clients to amend their state returns reflecting the adjustment.  How do I know which returns were adjusted after efiling?  The "Last Modified" column in HomeBase appears unaffected by the automatic adjustment.  The client analyzer query for "Clients with Unemployment Compensation" narrows my search better but I still have to go through an manually create the amended state return? 

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Don't take this the wrong way but if you had a copy of those returns in a PDF file or a paper copy then you would not have to ask that question... Do a search on this forum and you will see others asked the same thing that you did... hope this helps...

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

You can run a query for clients with unemployment. Be aware not all states will need amending as some also did not tax unemployment

DENNYCARR
Level 3

Thanks for your response.  Yes, if I kept PDF's or hard-copies of each return I could compare.  Hard-copies would require another room and PDF's are another step in the return preparation that until now, I have never needed.  I guess I am foolish to expect that paying over $2,000 each year to Intuit would allow me to compare the EF accepted return with the return they updated without notice.  

I promise, I did look before posting my question.  All that I found was that I could lock the return before opening them.  I was hoping there was a solution that didn't require a time-machine.  

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Yes, if I kept PDF's or hard-copies of each return I could compare.  Hard-copies would require another room and PDF's are another step in the return preparation that until now, I have never needed.”

I used to think that way and then discovered it is MUCH faster to print a pdf and then print a paper copy from the pdf, rather than use the PS print-to-printer routine. 

i print pdf of the returns, invoice, etc… and drop them into my client folder. about 1/3 of my clients get PDF returns through intuit link so it’s just a drag and drop instead of paper…. For those that get paper, i usually have a high school kid print, put the returns together, and call, mail, or (occasionally) deliver.  

The other benefit is that I always have a copy of the return AS FILED and don’t have to worry about Intuit sneaking up and changing the returns.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround

View solution in original post

abctax55
Level 15

Restore from a backup done before the software was updated for the tax law change; just be careful not to overwrite the existing (improved by the software tax law change) client file.  I use separate data paths for this (I do use Lacerte, so can't provide specifics for PS).

I assume you do keep periodic backups?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"I guess I am foolish to expect that paying over $2,000 each year to Intuit would allow me to compare the EF accepted return with the return they updated without notice."

I guess so.  Crap happens.  It's best to be prepared for it when it does happen so it is always nice to have a plan B to fall back on.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

If only PS let you lock returns  ...  

Hope things are going well up there Chuck.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"