Lori563
Level 3

I need to amend a return but I need the numbers before Pro Series "corrected" for the unemployment exclusion. Best Procedures?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You'll probably need to go in and make a reversing entry in Other Income to make the return look like the original.

Once you're back to the original figures, then activate the 1040X (open the form and check the 2020 box at the top), be sure to activate the state amended form as well prior to making changes (if applicable).

Then go back and undo your adjustment and make whatever other changes you're amending for.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Remember, IRS told us NOT to amend for the UI exclusion, they will do that on their end. So you should wait for that to happen, then youd use the IRS corrected figures in the Original Column of the 1040X....if tax credits are involved this could become tricky and may require the use of overrides to get you to the proper "original as corrected by IRS" figures, since PS will make these changes automatically as well.

Lori563
Level 3

They are sending incorrect refunds of some and sending letters to some clients that are incorrect also. So I need to amend to correct the amounts. So "override" is the only solution. That is what I was finding also.  Thanks!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Using override, you'll probably have to uncheck the Error Correction box at conversion for the Efile to go through.

I havent amended any yet, so I havent put it through any actual testing, but generally, overrides cause the return to fail conversion, so you may need to uncheck that box.