kattsmeow17
Level 3

Client paper-filed her return 12-weeks ago. She has received her state refund. IRS "where's my refund" does not show receiving her return. What should she do next?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

"What should she do next?"

Patiently wait ----- it's going to be a while before she sees that refund.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

31 million returns are still sitting waiting to be processed....nothing you can do but wait.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I agree with both. I had a client that took a year on a paper filed return. I am warning all my people they are looking at a loooooooong wait. 

Patience.

View solution in original post

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive got 2 CP2000 responses we mailed back before the pandemic, clients are still getting bills, Im guessing theyre at the bottom of a pile somewhere

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

This is going to take quite some time before they get caught up. Then of course they are going to add this advance CTC payments. If I were the government, I would hire an outside agency to send these friggin payments out. 

BobKamman
Level 15

@garman22 "If I were the government, I would hire an outside agency to send these friggin payments out."

Isn't that what they did with debit cards?  I'm still waiting for the fallout from clients who claimed $600 RRC and will be told the money is in the trash.  

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@BobKamman I was not aware they did this re: debit cards? Well, I guess that didn't help. lol!!

I also am waiting on IRS banging back some of those credits people claimed. 

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Two clients that were issued the debit cards for the second EIP never received them. I claimed the RRC for both and each just received the "Correction Notice" removing the RRC from the refund and they received their refund without the RRC.

Tried to get thru on the Priority line to see how to resolve this but got the "courtesy disconnect" all day.

IRonMaN
Level 15

They should have received a letter from the company that issued the cash cards telling the clients that they need to contact the company that issued the cards to get new cards sent out.  Most folks probably pitched those letters too since it sounds like a scam.  A big thank you to the Department of Treasury for making this whole process so trouble free. 😖

Slava Ukraini!
kattsmeow17
Level 3

thank you all for your responses.

BobKamman
Level 15

Speaking of trying to get through to a number that never answers:

https://procedurallytaxing.com/calling-the-number-provided-in-irs-correspondence/

I shouldn't post links to one of my favorite blogs every day, but it has had relevant stories for two days in a row.  From now on, check it yourselves.

dkh
Level 15

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs#reconciling

in the information under  Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

you can enter $0 for EIP#2  -  IRS will then initiate a payment trace.   In the meantime, taxpayer will receive a letter the RRC was changed until the payment trace is completed.  Once complete (and the EIP#2 was not cashed)  an adjustment will be made.

I gave this information to my clients when they picked up their returns so they would know what to expect.  A long drawn out wait but still hope to see the money.    

BobKamman
Level 15

@dkh 

I don't see anything at that link to IRS FAQ's about IRS initiating a payment trace based only on an amount entered for RRC on Form 1040.  It seems to me that the taxpayer has to initiate the payment trace, and only after receiving a 1444 notice, which of course might also have been lost, mislaid or destroyed.  What am I missing?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

In the detail under  

Payment Issued but Lost, Stolen, Destroyed or Not Received

Read the NOTE:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting.    And if I so, I'm sure you will tell me so @BobKamman 
BobKamman
Level 15

@dkh 

I didn't get past the first thirteen words, because they told me a trace has to be started first. 

Note: If you are filing your 2020 tax return before your trace is complete

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Ive been faxing in the trace form right before filing the return, one client got his missing payment direct deposited into his account 3 weeks after filing the trace/return, then they sent a letter about the return disallowing the RRC for that missing payment, so he had to send them back a check, rather than them just letting it be the RRC on the return.

The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

Thanks to all for the information. What a season and so far from over.