Level 1

Yes he can still file even if it has a different name. 
Many file this way. 
Just file the return with his Itin number and add the ssn on the w-2 in the program if efiling. 
if you mail it, you have to creat a substitute w-2. 

Also make sure he has renewed his Itin number. If it is expired and you send it, it will be a long process to adjust.