karend
Level 1

Clients often run a year behind, so I transfer the clients and file the extension for this year, but last year isn't filed yet.  Once filed, can I transfer just that data over? Or do I have to manually update all the rollover and prior year schedules?  I only see a way to overwrite the current client file, but then I lose the extension information.

0 Cheers
kh
Level 1
I have uploaded an attachment that explains how you can transfer and update the data file for the e-filed extension that has already been accepted. Since we are so close to October 15th I wanted to let you know I answered your question with the instructions on how to do it.
0 Cheers
karend
Level 1
Thank you, KH!  I will try it this weekend.  Seems silly to me that the system can't do it.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Print out a copy of the extension and the acknowledgement of its receipt, then transfer the client into the current year (you may have to delete the client file, it may not let you overwrite), replicate the extension in the tax return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
kh
Level 1

Karend yes you can with ProSeries professional software. If I am correct, you and I both use ProSeries 2017 and Windows operating system. Because the process to complete the transfer and update of the accepted Extension is a bit long, I have attached a pdf of the process to hopefully prevent any issues you may run in to. It took our firm several hours to perfect the process in the correct order but if done correctly it should take you less than 30 minutes to complete the process even on your first try. Hope it works for you as well as it has us. Good Luck and let me know if you need anything clarified. I attached the instructions in both Word and PDF formats in the event you may want to add your own notes. 

Kathy

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

The electronic file with the extension will not carry over.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
Oh well:  when you file Extension, rename old file as ClientEXT and later when ready, transfer prior year.  Yes, you will have a whole data file for just the Ext, but disk storage is cheap
0 Cheers