pcpart1
Level 1

- Taxpayer has 2 separate employers and exceeds the maximum social security tax for the year, the excess is not showing on Line 72, Schedule 5 for Proseries Basic. I entered the correct amount for line 72 and then went looking for help and found that this should be automatic, is this a known issue?

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

I don't have Basic but I'm unable to duplicate the problem in ProSeries Professional.

Are you sure you don't have the spouse box marked on one of the W-2s?

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
@TaxGuyBill  have you noticed a bug in PS Basic for excess SS?
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I don't have clients in that income range.   :smile:

At any rate, my test file is flowing a number to Line 72, so it appears to be working for me.  I suspect that you have the right answer, the "spouse" box is checked (or not checked, whichever the case may be).
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Thanks, mine too.  Likely PEBCAK.
0 Cheers
pcpart1
Level 1
I have double checked and made sure that I haven't checked spouse first thing I checked should have mentioned that before. These 2 W2s were carried forward from last year so I only had to input 8 numbers and check state ID number. So no additional check indicators. I checked again today and still no go I will contact support. Thanks for all who responded.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Try deleting the W-2s and readding them (or add them and then delete the old ones).  Sometimes the carryovers have bad data that you can't see.  Did you transfer early in the season?
0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

We have no information on this request.  Please contact support.

0 Cheers