drincon1225
Level 1

@TaxGuyBill 

Hello TaxGuyBill, 

I have a similar situation to the one mentioned below. My mother (Recepient on 1095-A), brother and I are under our father's policy ( he isn't, he is shown as Recepients spouse on 1095-A). They are married filing jointly and my brother and I are filing seperate as independent. To my understanding the 8962 that will populate for my parents will include 2 under tax family, 1 under my brothers 8962 and 1 under my 8962. Based on the example below, it seems that it would be best if I allocate 100% on my return and have my brother and parents allocate 0% on theirs, since I am the one with the lowest poverty percentage. However, is this allowed since it is three seperate tax returns? The allocation examples provided by the IRS just show the example of two seperate tax returns so not sure how it will work or what is allowed in my situation (three seperate tax returns). It clearly would be the best option for me to claim 100% since I am the one witht the lowest poverty percentage and would be receiving a PTC of $2,439, otherwise if my parents claim the 100% or even 30% they have to pay back $2,700. If they claim 0% they receive a PTC of $2. Me claiming the 100% is clearly the better option, just want to make sure this is acceptable by the IRS.

I really hope to hear from you soon and thank you in advance for your help.

0 Cheers