PATAX
Level 15

I wonder if it is time to pass a law prohibiting retroactive tax law changes...The retroactive tax changes recently signed into law have created extra work for the IRS, Intuit, and tax preparers. They had all year to make tax changes. Since they like to pass laws and regulations, how about passing a law prohibiting tax law changes retroactive to the prior year.. Just my opinion...

George4Tacks
Level 15

I have often heard of these changes being called the Accountants Retirement Act. Everyone once in a while our profession requires a bit of extra work and thinking on our feet. It also involves being able to charge the clients a bit more to get them through these turbulent times. Just accept them as a challenge you can endure and thrive in. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
IRonMaN
Level 15

Let them keep the retroactive laws.  However, all of the additional costs incurred by all of those affected parties would be billed to and paid by those elected officials personally.

Slava Ukraini!
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I dont mind retro changes but they need to STOP doing it during the tax season. Its bad enough for us and IRS during normal times.....

BobKamman
Level 15

That would just add the extra step of suspending or repealing the law against retroactive changes, when making a retroactive change.  

dascpa
Level 11

But could they pass a retroactive law to ban retroactive laws? Or are we getting into a galaxy ending matter-antimatter situation?

PATAX
Level 15

👍George what you are saying is true , but I already have too much work... I just want to go out hiking with my German Shepherd, but I can't do that anymore either because of the Lyme disease deer ticks are everywhere... What a joke.....

BobKamman
Level 15

They could amend the Constitution.  We already have a ban on ex post facto laws, but that only applies to criminal cases.  But the issue here is what should happen when an election changes control of two branches of government.  Should taxpayers have to wait a year for their choice to matter?  Does it depend -- like, on what happens when a Supreme Court justice dies in an election year?  

PATAX
Level 15

👍All of the respondents have raised valid points... And that is the solution... Just my opinion

View solution in original post

0 Cheers