rbynaker
Level 13

I think it really depends on your practice.  I have a small practice and just use PPR.  With ProSeries software costs rising ~15% per year I switched a lot of my clients to Drake PPR a few years ago.  It got to the point where 60-70% of what I was billing my "little old ladies in nursing homes" for tax prep was going straight to Intuit.  I switched them to Drake at $20/client (now up to $22 this year) including state returns.  Their bills are lower now and yet I make more money so it was a win-win.

I still do many of my complex returns in ProSeries.  A client making a half-million working for Google with rental properties in 4 states doesn't bat an eyelash at $200 in software costs plus prep fees when the final product is a half-ream of paper.  Don't get me wrong, Drake can probably do the complicated returns too, but Intuit makes the multi-state returns go much smoother than Drake and ProSeries has excellent worksheets when it comes to stock option/grant/rsu/etc.  Even something like a sale of home, ProSeries includes your workpapers as part of the software.  Some things in Drake I have to put into a spreadsheet first and then just enter the results into Drake (like it's a fancy typewriter.)

So I love the Drake price and the customer service is great.  But that can be a double edged sword.  I have to call Drake several times per year just to figure out how to enter ABC so that my Form XYZ has the right numbers in the right boxes.  I have ProSeries software dating back 20+ years and I've never once had to call ProSeries for technical support.  No pun intended, but the software really is intuitive.  It's easy to drill down from the 1040 to where things get entered.  So as long as I know where something is supposed to end up (and it's my job to know this, I'm a paid professional) then I can find out how to get it to show up there pretty easily in ProSeries.

Rick