TTT
Level 2

Can I use my EFIN to file hundreds tax returns for free?

I have plan to help to file free tax return for low income people who struggling with Covid-19 impact.

I am an IRS Authothorized e-file Provider.
Can I file tax return for people for free as non-paid preparer?
How many tax return I can e-file for other people for free?

I found the article mentioned that we cannot submit efile for more than 5 return if we are not ERO. However, I am an IRS Authothorized e-file Provider and I have EFIN#.

Is there any limit number of return that I can do efile for free?

Ref: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-need-to-efile-more-than-federal-returns-for-fam...

Here is the article I refer to:
‎June 6, 2019 2:47 AM
The IRS imposes a limit of 5 e-mail returns. Preparing greater than 5 returns is viewed by the IRS as being 'a preparer' and requires registration with the IRS. It is NOT a TurboTax limitation, and it does not matter how many TurboTax packages you buy; if you try to e-file more than 5 returns you should consider it an invitation to the IRS to contact you.

NOTE: To prepare more than five e-files, you will need to become an Authorized e-file Provider and register as an ERO (Electronic Returns Originator) with the IRS.

Thanks!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If you have an EFIN then you should have applied for one as an ERO.

Which software are you using?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
TTT
Level 2

ProSeries Professtional

I am an IRS Authorized efile provider. I have EFIN and I am an ERO.

Can I do efile for hundreds of people for free?

Does IRS has any rule to limit me or prohibit me to do so?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can prepare and Efile as many returns as youd like (for free assuming you have an unlimited package) if youre an ERO with a valid EFIN using a Professional tax product like ProSeries.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post