lyndaj0331
Level 4

Is there a way, or specific order, to enter things into ProSeries if you are trying to determine whether MFJ or MFS is more beneficial to your client

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Prepare return as MFJ, and then choose MFJ/MFS  worksheet, Pro has, but don't know about basic

rbynaker
Level 13

As you're entering stuff into the MFJ return, make sure you have TSJ codes turned on in the global options and make sure you are properly tagging every item with a TSJ code.  I don't know if Basic has the MFJ/MFS worksheet but you should be able to open your return in Professional and view the worksheet there.  You might be able to use the Pro feature to "Split return" to create two MFS returns.  Then you might be able to open both of those returns in Basic and go about your day.  If you're not printing or filing anything in Pro, you shouldn't have to authorize the returns (i.e. make a pay-per-return payment).  YMMV.

View solution in original post

BobKamman
Level 15

First you eyeball it.  Then you make your best guess, based on your years of experience.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

Basic has "what if:" https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-filing-status/help/mfj-vs-mfs-worksheet-in-proseries-bas...

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
lyndaj0331
Level 4

I do not know how to open a file from basic in pro; however, I had an idea, and I did try it, but it didn't work exactly as I had planned.  I entered the Taxpayer info, opened the What if, copied everything from column 1 to column 2 and then unchecked that box.  I set column 2 to MFS.  Went back and entered all the spouses info which changed the information in column 1.  I thought i would then just be able to subtract column 2 from 1 and get the correct info for column 3 which i also set as MFS.  Well, that didn't work.  While the numbers in column 1 changed, it automatically copied them into column 2 even though I unchecked the box for that.  I probably did something wrong, but i thought it was a good idea.  Anyway, I did it the hard way and determined that, in this particular case, they did benefit from filing separately.  What i am really upset about is that i do not know why I have a subscription for ProSeries Basic and do pay per return in pro for my business returns.  I guess I did not realize that I could do 1040 returns in pro.  Too late now.  Would also love to be in pro in order to determine which clients are affected by the unemployment issue without having to open each one.  Live and learn! Thank you for your suggestions.  Much more helpful than another response.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Pro is more expensive, but they also allow you to use more features.  That's the trade-off.  I was always close to the break-even point so I went from PPR to All-you-can-eat and then back to PPR as the pricing and my practice changed.  I never used Basic though, just Professional.  Gradually Intuit priced me out of being a customer.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"how to open a file from basic in pro"

You don't. You use the function found in Basic, or you use the function found in Pro.

Terry told you this: "Prepare return as MFJ, and then choose MFJ/MFS worksheet, Pro has, but don't know about basic"

And I answered that missing part, that it is a What If, in Basic.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers