MariaR
Level 3

So here's the situation:

- my returning client, John Doe, has not filed 2019

- my client's wife, Jane Doe, filed a 2019 return as single using a DIY software

I've explained everything and they want to get everything done correctly now. So normally I would just take Jane Doe and do an amendment to add John Doe as husband. I didn't prepare Jane Doe so I could just re-create the return and start from there to add John Doe.

But here's where I'm stumped... John Doe wants to show first as the primary taxpayer and he wants his wife, Jane Doe, to show as the "Spouse". So, I don't know if I'm having a brain fart moment or not but wouldn't I still be okay doing it that way?

Obviously I wouldn't be able to efile it at all. So, if I prepare John Doe's original 2019 return and simply add his wife to it... can I then just have them mail it in and that will supersede (or amend so to say) the wife's previously filed single status return?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Cant you just fix 2019 with the wifes name at the front, then switch it in 2020 so hubbys pride can be saved?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

dkh
Level 15

I agree with Lisa.   Amend the wife's return for 2019.  He can be primary for 2020

IRonMaN
Level 15

Just tell him that based on recent tax law changes, the person that filed a return first must be listed first on the amended tax return.  So he should call his Congressperson if he doesn't like it.  I'm guessing he won't call, but based on elected official's knowledge of tax laws, the Congressperson won't know the difference anyway.  

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

IRS can be dense and obtuse at times, but they can figure out the situation regardless of whose name appears first.  Sounds like a situation where your clients are going to owe tax anyway -- be assured that IRS will have no problem cashing the check.  

MariaR
Level 3

I'm shooting for this one to fly LOL