qbteachmt
Level 15

This is a Windows problem for using the QB file: "is wider still since the file exists on a flash drive only"

First, you need to understand that the flash drive plugs in variably. It might be E: or F: or G:. Then, the QB program has the splash screen with "no company open" and it shows the most recently used files. You control the number of files here, and each of them, if you click on them, shows their entire file folder path. Example:

C:\Public Documents\Intuit\Company Files\My Company.qbw

The use of a flash drive, which by the way often isn't as fast a device as you would want when working with a relational database. would result in multiple listing for the same file, because the virtual drive letter (the F: or E:) changes from time to time.

QB is a program that maintains an .ini file. Initialization = keeps track of details. The location of all of the most recently opened files (up to 20 listings) will be kept there. This is also the place that stores the most recent backup filenames and count based on the setting in that file to "only keep 5" or whatever. That way, when you use the Backup function, the QB program detects you just made your 6th, and you see that pop up asking if you would like QB to delete the oldest file now.

"and I can not open it from any program(localized or not). It appears to be saved as a QBB file (must mean second B is backup.)"

Yes, it does. That isn't the Working file. Saving a backup to a USB device would be fine. Running the .QBW from there would not be. Remember that I earlier pointed out there are at least 4 associated files that the program uses to manage the relational database.

"All I am trying to do is open the files on flash drive for review and seems irritating something as easy as opening a file can not be done from my system.."

Comparisons:

Word has data files = .doc or .docx

Excel has data files = .xls or .xlsx

"Am I missing something simple"

When you double-click or open one of these files, the Windows OS knows that filetype and knows to launch the associated program. But a .QBB, while associated with QB, is not a launchable file. A .QBB file is like a compressed flower bud. It would be Restored, not Opened. Do you have your real QB file somewhere? Typically, you don't open from the file; you launch the program, then open the company file from there.

Because you don't want to Restore a file and cause this to overwrite your current, real, file. I do tons of restores of client files, and have one folder for that work. Then, one folder for files under my direct management. And, one for my own file. That way, I control where things are going and what they are named. I might need to restore a client's most recent file to compare it to their prior version I still have, so I need to control filenames.

"Go-go gadget flash drive(open for review) Yep still nothing. At least I replied to my own post...."

My earlier response to Orlando was to clarify the direction of the data. Not From QB to ProSeries, but From ProSeries to QB.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers