itonewbie
Level 15

To me, a client's audit protection should be the accountant who prepared the return and not some third party who know zilch about the client's return, background, finances, and technical reasons for any position taken.

I have to ask how some stranger can step in at this rate (yes, I know it works like insurance on a pooled risk basis so the value is higher than the premium you pay) and respond to IRS notices, etc.  And am I even comfortable that these strangers are competent enough to represent my clients and, if they are, whether they have sufficient facts and understanding of the return I prepare to represent my client (and not misrepresent me along the way)?

Identity theft protection service?  I'm not so sure if that's the reason accountants decide to have their clients buy that.  From what I gathered, accountants are hoping that "audit protection" would take a load off their shoulders and that their clients can have their notices taken care of without additional charge (which they would otherwise bill for).  Identity theft protection service is just an after thought, if at all.  To me, clients who are really conscious about identity theft would already have this coverage from their credit cards, banks, internet security software, etc.

As I said, there seems to be plenty of accountants who find "audit assistance" valuable.  Personally, I just have my doubts from a professional practice standpoint.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar