jgm6520
Level 3

I'm having trouble preparing an amended return and getting it show the correct bottom line. I have followed the instructions, several times, and I still don't get the correct answer. Please help!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Does the new corrected 1040 show the right answer? 

The 1040x should show the differences between the original and the corrected 1040s, where is the discrepancy?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Heres my version of the instructions for amending a return.

You may want to save a copy of the original for your records, I personally dont keep a computer copy of the original, its wrong, so I have no use for that anymore.  I keep a paper copy in the client file, or a PDF of the original.

Open the return as originally filed. 

Activate the 1040x by marking the correct year at the top of the form, switch over to the state (if applicable) and activate that amended form as well by entering the year in at the top.

Now go back to the federal return and make the needed changes and then go to the 1040x and write in the explanation of what's being changed.

Now switch over to the state return and open their amended form and you should have a checkbox to carry the same explanation over to the state, you may need to edit that for state purposes, depending on your explanation..

You should be good to go now.

jgm6520
Level 3

I think  you're right except that second step (after backing up or printing the return) is to check the box on the Info Worksheet that indicates you want to efile the amended return.

jgm6520
Level 3

It should show the difference but I'm not convinced that it does. I'm going to wait until the final version is available and then we should know the answer.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Youre right, I left out the step to check the Efile box....these are instructions I had saved from a year ago, before Efiling the 1040X was a capability.

0 Cheers