Egraham08
Level 1

How do I amend a 1040 with Schedule C in proseries basic? Would I have to create a "new" return for the client? If so, is there a way for the information to convert over to the new return or is this a manual process?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You don't create a new file. You may want to save a copy of the original for your records, I personally dont keep a computer copy of the original, its wrong, so I have no use for that anymore.  I keep a paper copy in the client file, or a PDF of the original.

Open the return as originally filed. 

Activate the 1040x by marking the correct year at the top of the form, switch over to the state (if applicable) and activate that amended form as well by entering the year in at the top.

Now go back to the federal return and make the needed changes and then go to the 1040x and write in the explanation of what's being changed.

Now switch over to the state return and open their amended form and you should have a checkbox to carry the same explanation over to the state, you may need to edit that for state purposes, depending on your explanation..

You should be good to go now.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
kgalland
Level 4

I followed the instructions in Proseries and it doesn't work. It keeps getting an error that a return with that SS# already exists and it won't transmit the return. It was a waste of time to follow the instructions from Proseries and create a new return. I will try amending the current file and submit again.

0 Cheers
klimli
Level 3

I'm in the same boat.

I filed Fed and State for 2021 for a client and then the found out a day ago a 1099 came in.

So I went to the original return and saved it as a slightly new name (basically added X to the filename).

In the new "X" return I added the 1040-X, checked 2021 and began to add the 1099 which populated the 1040-X accordingly and I added text to support this late 1099 that could not have been mailed by 1/31.

Anyway, in HomeBase in the extended columns to the right it's showing in the Amended column, but if I transmit the return it pops up the SSN duplication and I hit "Yes", so it transmits and gets rejected for duplicate SSN.

So now what?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If you going to make a copy of the wrong original (I dont know why you'd want a computer file of something that's wrong, but whatever), you have to uncheck the EF boxes on it or you'll have a duplicate SSN message in EFcenter.

You need to use the actual original file as the amended return, so dont make a copy and use the copy as the amended...save a copy of the wrong original and give it the new name and uncheck the EF boxes on it.

klimli
Level 3

I keep a copy of what you call "wrong", but what the IRS calls "Original Return" for due diligence.

I've had to defend a number of clients, successfully, but for the case of amendments, I had to disclose the digital copy of both the Original return and the Amended return. Separately.

Hence why there are explicit instructions to make a copy and rename it, which I usually append "As Filed" onto then go about doing the 1040-X on the Original Return.

0 Cheers
DocHarris
Level 1

I've tried everything that has been suggested in amending a current year tax return - none of them work. The Transmit Electronic Filing log states "Please contact customer support. ...the return filed the tax transmission return validation step." There are no error messages. The return is correct. What's going on?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I always keep a printed copy of the original, I just have no use for a computer file of the original.

0 Cheers
Duncan1
Level 1

Just Lisa,

I followed your instructions below but when I tried to efile the Amended Federal return ,it said I already submitted a return with the same file name, which I agree with. If you amend off the original return and the original was already filed how can I efile the amended with the same file name? Where did I mess up? Looks like I will have to mail in the amended return. I use Pro Series Basic.

Thanks

Duncan1

Just-Lisa-Now-

Level 15

‎02-20-2021 08:26 AM

You don't create a new file. You may want to save a copy of the original for your records, I personally dont keep a computer copy of the original, its wrong, so I have no use for that anymore.  I keep a paper copy in the client file, or a PDF of the original.

Open the return as originally filed. 

Activate the 1040x by marking the correct year at the top of the form, switch over to the state (if applicable) and activate that amended form as well by entering the year in at the top.

Now go back to the federal return and make the needed changes and then go to the 1040x and write in the explanation of what's being changed.

Now switch over to the state return and open their amended form and you should have a checkbox to carry the same explanation over to the state, you may need to edit that for state purposes, depending on your explanation..

You should be good to go now.

0 Cheers