TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The Renter's Refund on Form M1PR (Minnesota) is problematic.

ProSeries is now incorrectly forcing the Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP) to automatically flow to the Line 16 worksheet, which is designed for people who rent a home that they are NOT living in.  But landlords are required to issue a CRP to EACH adult in the home, including EACH spouse (and I think each adult dependent too), so the CRPs should NOT be automatically flowing there, because it gives an error saying you can't use a total of 12 months (it thinks we are saying it was used for 24 months because each spouse has one separately).

1.jpg

So if you enter a separate CRP for both spouses, it gives an error.  Yes, I know we can do a work-around and just combine the two amounts onto 1 CRP (well, sort of, landlords can not electronically submit CRPs, which could eventually causes a mismatch if the state starting looking at that).  But it USED to work fine in previous years, and now Intuit BROKE it.  That drives me crazy.

I am going to flag our Amazing Orlando to see if this is a "known" issue that is being worked on.