uhtaxmba
Level 3

If a day trader either shows income on Sch D or 4797, then Sch C, where they show their expenses, will never have a net profit.  So business use of home expenses will never be allowed.  Please advise.

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
uhtaxmba
Level 3

Already read it.  It does not address my question, however.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

You didn't ask a question, you made a statement.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
uhtaxmba
Level 3

I did ask a question:  If a day trader either shows income on Sch D or 4797, then Sch C, where they show their expenses, will never have a net profit?  So business use of home expenses will never be allowed.  Please advise.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

If a day trader either shows income on Sch D or 4797, then Sch C, where they show their expenses, will never have a net profit.  So business use of home expenses will never be allowed.  Please advise.

Your OP is above /|\; there's no question mark in it.  

Your statement is correct.   No income on C means no OIH deduction.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
uhtaxmba
Level 3

I didn't know I'd get proofread for punctuation.  I am not sure that I agree with you.  There is income on Sch D and/or 4797.  Sch F is not linked to the Business Use of Home form.  You use the worksheet and put the amount on the misc expense line.  

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Your "question" does come off as a statement honestly. But whatever.......

I see your issue, based on zero income, there will always be a loss and some office expenses will be denied/suspended due to loss. Is there a box anywhere on F8829 which would allow expenses to flow through for a day trader? I honestly dont know as I dont have any day traders.  

qbteachmt
Level 15

"I didn't know I'd get proofread for punctuation"

But it helps reduce the amount of Mind-reading required by peer users, to try to identify which part is the question, and which part is background that lead you to have a question.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
uhtaxmba
Level 3

Nope.  The only thing to do is to figure the amount on a worksheet or use the 8829 as a worksheet and put the OIH expenses as a misc.  Like you'd do on a Sch F.

0 Cheers