Gsouls
Level 3

Hello tax pros, I need guidance on how to handle the scenario described below in Proseries.

Description of Situation

Taxpayer holds valid SSN, but his 5 dependents including spouse do not have valid SSNs. We will apply for ITIN for these 5 dependents in this tax season. Even though the four dependent children do not have SSNs, Proseries is calculating a total recovery rebate of $4,400 being 1st & 2nd EIP for the dependents. When I delete the numbers, knowing that valid SSN is required to qualify, it pops up again. It cannot be deleted.

Question

1. Do dependents without valid SSN now qualify for the 1st & 2nd EIP, that is why Proseries is picking dependents' information and calculating the recovery rebate in the recovery rebate worksheet?

2. If dependents without valid SSN do not still qualify for the EIP, how do I work around these numbers in Proseries since the numbers pop up again when I delete them.

Please may you advise?

Thank you.

0 Cheers
athaureaux6
Level 8

Hi you are right, it does not look it calculating it correctly maybe because the space for the social or itin is blank. But in this case I think he should be getting 1800 if he did not receive any of them. Try this: 

Try this: Uncheck Line 2 where it says Yes and input the x on NO.   (it looks the software is assuming the blank space is a valid ss. It should change to 1200 in the amount line. 

Put 0 on Lines 6  and Lines 9 because the dependents will not qualify if they do not have ss. The software will then assume he is the only one who qualifies, so answer the questions 16 and 19 and that should add 1800. 

Remember, if he is  married, the spouse is not considered technically a dependent even if she did not work. it seems to be a MFJ with 4 dependents. The new law will give him the 1200 for payment 1 and 600 for payment 2. (assuming he did not receive them) Remember, the system went crazy with the stimulus payments. I hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Looks like they need SSNs

https://www.eitcoutreach.org/blog/are-immigrants-eligible-for-the-stimulus-check/

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Gsouls
Level 3

Thank you so much for your guidance. Your solution worked perfectly.

Much appreciated.

0 Cheers