TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@Bsch4477 wrote:

I received this reply from Taxslayer. 

To the best of our knowledge it (Form 7202) is allowed to be e-filed.  We have found no information to the contrary at this time.  As the form is new, we are still waiting on the final specs from the IRS, so that could change, but as of now we believe so. 

@SDJayhawk Can you give us a citation from the IRS which makes a determination regarding this?

Generally, there would not be a citation to say something like this can not happen.  The citation would be the 2020 MEF programming specs, which likely does not show Form 7202.  The software companies may verbally communicate with the IRS and be told something (such as "no, we are not programming that to e-file, that is why it is not in the MEF specs").  So it may be true that they don't have information that it CAN'T be e-filed, they likely don't have information that it CAN be e-filed.

I understand why the IRS and software companies would not want to program this form for MEF; is only valid for a year or two.  It is annoying, but I understand it.

But as previously mentioned, this needs to be able to be attached as a PDF.  And ProSeries needs to program it so we can fill out the 7202 in the software and have the numbers flow to where they need to be, and still allow us to e-file the tax return (with the 7202 as a PDF attachment).