jofijohnjoseph
Level 7
Level 7

It appears ProSeries is using a new method this year for entering details of stock sales reported on 1099 forms.  In previous years, you could enter the information on a Capital Gains and Losses Condensed Entry Table.  This year, that option is no longer available, and instead you need to use a Form 1099-B Worksheet.

Fair enough:  here's the problem.  With the previous method, if I had a 1099 statement with a large number of transactions, I could simply enter the gross sums for each type of transaction.  If $100,000 of sales for short term covered transactions were reported for fifty individual sales, I could just put down the $100,000 as the gross amount, and not break it out by individual sale.  For the dates of the sales, I could leave those blank so long as I classified the transactions as short term or long term.  (If a 1099 form included different types of sales, I would have to break those out, of course.)  I would then attach a PDF of the 1099 form to the return before e-filing it.  

Under this new method, it doesn't allow me to leave the dates blank.  I can put down "various" for the purchase date, but I cannot do so for the sale date.  This means I will need to list every individual sale, which involves a lot of work.

Any tips here?  Thanks!