I  re-converted on Jan. 16th, 2021, a tax return that was e-filed back in February 2020 mistakenly while before selecting e-file amendment on information worksheet. Now I am needing to amend the return tax year 2019 via E-File, but I am getting an error that orginal file hasn't been successfully e-filed, but it actually has been. Will I still be able to e-file amendment? Is there a way to correct error and submit electronically still?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Efiling isnt open for individual returns, so if this is a 1040, you have to wait until Feb 12th.

You also had to have Efiled the return using ProSeries (not someone else) and the file youre using for the amended needs to be the same file that you filed the original....so if you made a copy and a different file name to use as the amended, this will be a problem.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
treasur2
Level 3

So do I understand this to mean that I can only efile 1040x's on returns I did the original 1040 efileing on?

I'm trying to do one where I only have a paper copy of the original. I did NOT efile the original. The TP did it themself? I've told them I can help them. Now it sounds like thats not correct?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

You can't e-file it the return if you didn't prepare it, but you still can paper file the return.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
MsGretle
Level 3

This can't possibly be the case! How in the world is this helpful? I have a TON of amendments each year, but almost never do I need to amend a return I initially filed unless it's an AUR notice, and then you have to send it to the AUR department anyway. @IRonMaN How often to preparers amend their own returns? Usually I am amending TurboTax or H&R Block returns. Do you know if it will allow you to e-file the amendment if you "flip" the return from TurboTax (from a *.tax file) into your ProSeries? Otherwise, this feature seems useless (for me)...and I literally waited to file all these amendments thinking I would save money in postage...SMH 😞 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The original return needs to be filed by you using ProSeries, its got embedded EF data contained that lets the system know its been Efiled.

Efiling an mended return is new, less than 1 year old, so Im sure as time goes on, we'll see some improvements...right now Im sure programmers time has been allocated toward the mess of current year forms and functionality.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

Don't shoot the messenger.  We complained when they first came out with that plan and they said they were going to look into.  Evidently they fell into a black hole while looking since we haven't heard anything since then.

Slava Ukraini!
MsGretle
Level 3

@IRonMaN Oh no...I certainly would never shoot YOU!! Your messenger skills are totally on  point!! I always appreciate all of your input and help!! My overly passionate gripes were definitely NOT directed toward you! Thank you Thank you for your consistent feedback!! 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Not a problem.  Besides, after years of anvils, boulders, blown up rockets, etc, a bullet just kinda tickles me anyway.

Slava Ukraini!
MsGretle
Level 3

@Just-Lisa-Now- Thank you! I am sure you are completely correct about their priorities being elsewhere (as they should be). Patience has just never been a virtue I have mastered...lol

Thank you for clarifying the "why" about the efiled data! That will prevent me from falling into a deep dark rabbit hole trying to manipulate the return to include the MEF data!

0 Cheers