LiebeNigro
Level 2

Proseries issue:  Problems with preparing for Electronic Filing as a Self-Prepared User

I am a single user of ProSeries Professional 2020 making a joint tax return for my husband and myself.  The returns are SELF-PREPARED (XSP) designation.  I am getting errors because ProSeries seems to want ERO information. 

On the Federal and Virginia State Returns:

1. On the Federal Information Worksheet, Part V The Preparer Code on the Part V – Return Preparer and Third-Party Designee Information is XSP
  2. I am NOT an ERO.  
  3. On the Federal Information Worksheet, Part VI Electronic Filing of Tax Return Information, I check the File Federal Return Electronically and
  4. I check File State or City Returns Electronically and
  5. I select the State of Virginia for the return to be filed electronically in Virginia 
  6. On the Federal Information Worksheet, Part VII Electronic Filing of Tax Return Information – Continued, I select the checkboxes Practitioner PIN Program “Taxpayer(s) entered own PIN(s)” 
  7. On the Firm/Prepared Info worksheet,  I have included an EFIN, because otherwise, the field is in red as an error.  I am NOT a professional tax prepared, so the ERO section is blank.
  8. On the VIRGINIA Information Worksheet, I see an Error on Part V – Electronic Filing Information “The state return will be filed electronically.” 
  9. When I hover the mouse over the red X, the error message reads “Electronic Filing Yes box has been checked to efile the state return.  You have an error because you need to complete the Electronic Return Originator for this return.  Go to the Federal return and correct the errors that are related to the ERO information.  The ERO EIN or SSN/PIN should be entered on the ERO information screen.” 
  10. I am NOT an ERO.   The Preparer Code on the Part V – Return Preparer and Third Party Designee Information is XSP 
  11. HOWEVER, If I leave the EFIN information out on the Federal Form Firm/Prepared Information, ProSeries indicates an ERROR because the field is in RED.  But if this EFIN information is left out of the Federal Form, there is NO error on the Virginia Information Worksheet.
  12. Either way, something is not right here.    Is this a bug?