wlb-76063
Level 2

I have installed the new 2020 ProSeries program.  When I transferred my clients from 2019 ProSeries to 2020 ProSeries more than 100 of 300+ client files did not transfer.  No explanation given.  Any comments?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

My comment would be read the other threads stating that it is WAY to early to transfer clients.  The program was just released today.  There are bugs.  There will be updates.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

wlb-76063
Level 2

Thank you for your comments.  I assumed as much but did not find any posts regarding this issue so I thought I'd ask.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Are they returns with multiple states?  You may not be able to transfer those until the state modules become available.  EDIT:  No I just checked this, it pulls over no matter the state.

You really shouldnt transfer anything but some tester sample files yet  

Each year there are issues with returns that get transferred in before January...certain things dont carry over as they should and you end up having to delete everyone and re-transfer.

(Ive got a few dummy files and my own that I transfer in early, I generally end up deleting my own and re-transferring it back in January.)

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
abctax55
Level 15

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking..... The wealth of experience available from those here who have tried it & found out it's a bad idea is very valuable.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Accountant-Man
Level 12

I transfer in November but just for organizers. I learned a long time ago no returns until January.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
IRonMaN
Level 15

Look on the bright side - at least you won’t have to re-transfer those 100 in January when you find out about all of the bugs contained in files that were transferred early.  It happens every year and based on how 2020 has been playing out, you can be assured it will happen again with this years program.

Slava Ukraini!
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@Accountant-Man i gave up on organizers years ago.... found i was only getting about 80% returned...  normally I wouldn't complain but I found that 90% of those returned were unopened in the bottom of the shopping bag.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Skylane, I get a bigger bunch back, maybe 50% completed in some fashion. Several years ago I gave $20 gift cards to whomever completes the Org AND pays up front.

I do it every so often. I gave out 100 cards that first year.

0 Cheers
horstmk
Level 2

I've tried for several days now since attempting to transfer 2019 to 2020. I reported to Intuit on Friday morning (phone call), tech put me on hold (twice) to check out, then finally said her supervisor told her there was a problem (yes, there is, not even updating their employees, not good).  But there has been no communication from Intuit ProSeries to customers.  They should notify us, customer service/relations.   I hoped they would fix on Friday, but have tried again Saturday and Sunday to transfer one 1040, I get error code 146.  I'm only trying to transfer one 1040 to start entering data (estimates).  In the past I've started in Nov/Dec even without all states being available.   So that should not be the case, hope not - State aren't out until mid-January.  Every time I log in, I do updates (to no avail).  Terrible to release a product that doesn't work.  

Can I set up a new client and enter data, then later do transfer of some 2019 information?  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

The first release is always bare bones with lots of quirks.  See if transferring this way works

tranferclient2020.png

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

LIsa, I know this is from Orlando, but I can't do this :Create New Client , Choose File, Transfer, Complete Transfer.

Where is this located?

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I tried transferring all my clients to 2020 (this is Jan 13 2021) and about 1/4 of them did not transfer. there was no error message, they just don't show up in homebase at all. 

as this is well past the release date, any comments or suggestions?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Youre in the All Returns Homebase view?

I transferred a handful of them and a few were missing, but then I realized that I was in the EFCenter and the ones that were missing had not been marked for Efile duh! LOL

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would run an update for both years, reboot my computer, and try again.

Slava Ukraini!
ejdtaxman
Level 7

no I am just looking at the 1040 files, even though I had attempted to transfer all files the 1040 is all I really care about right now. 

the part about e-filing is interesting too because I notice now a bunch of clients now appear in EF center without me having even checked them off to e-file. Is that something that is just gonna auto-import from 2019? 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@ejdtaxman wrote:

the part about e-filing is interesting too because I notice now a bunch of clients now appear in EF center without me having even checked them off to e-file. Is that something that is just gonna auto-import from 2019? 

That is strange, they weren't ever Efiled in a prior year?  If you Efiled them in a prior year the EF boxes stay checked when you transfer them.

0 Cheers
ejdtaxman
Level 7

at least some of them were e-filed last year, I havent gone thru and looked at every one. 

will check to see if the ones that I don't remember e-filing have it checked off. 

Way more concerned with the file transfer issue right now, however. thanks for your help Lisa 🙂

ejdtaxman
Level 7

this sounded promising but didnt work. thanks for trying 🙂

ejdtaxman
Level 7

I called support and was told I have to open each file and save individually in 2019 before transferring to 2020. No explanation as to why aside from something vague like "must be something to do with your network" or some such garbage. 

it was incredibly cumbersome and took me about 3 hours over 2 days but I was able to complete it. 

Use this solution if you encounter a similar problem.  

0 Cheers