AC2020
Level 1

I am new to NYC tax filing. I have a client who is employed by NYC, but I'm not sure how to figure out if he is required to file a form 1127. Would that be something that he needs to find out from his employer? Do the forms ever get filed on their behalf? His previous CPA didn't file it for him and he hasn't filed it for three years. And another question, can you claim the withholding on the W2 on the 1127 or is that only for the state return?

0 Cheers
IntuitRebecca

Hi there,

According to the city:

"Any New York City employees who were a nonresident of the City (the five NYC boroughs) during any part of a particular tax year must file an 1127 return. In most cases, if you received an 1127.2 statement from your employer, you would have to file an 1127 return."

I believe the NYC withholding (if any) would be listed separately on the W-2 from the NYS withholding, as in most jurisdictions the state withholding is reported in box 16 and city withholding is in box 19. I would refer to the NYC department of finance as the ultimate source of truth: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/taxes/personal-income-tax-and-non-resident-employees.page

0 Cheers