Tom8
Level 1

I am trying to e-file an individual return where the taxpayer is a US citizen but lives and works in a foreign country for a foreign employer.  Since the foreign employer does not have an EIN which is recognized by the IRS the tax return gets rejected. The wages need to be reported on line 1 of the 1040 and the taxpayer is eligible for the foreign earned income credit.  ProSeries suppoet says the taxpayer needs to mail in the return but other CPA firms such as CohnReznick said they have the same situation yet they are able to e-file the return.  Unfortunately they have a different tax software.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This worksheet, Line 8 might help?  

wageworksheet.pngforeignwages.png

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

Tom8
Level 1

Thank you.  I spoke to 3 people at ProSeries and I was told to mail it in.  That made no sense.

0 Cheers
john55
Level 1

ok but how you resolve the error message shown on the w-2 wks  where they are still asking  for employer details?

0 Cheers
Sequoiafc
Level 1

My version of Proseries does not have a "Wages Salaries & Tips Worksheet" I am doing a 2020 return. It has a "W-2 Worksheet" only and if I do a search, using your recommended worksheet name, nothing comes up (other than the W-2 Worksheet). The W-2 worksheet does not have a place to do what you are recommending. Can you tell me how to get around the EIN issue with foreign employers?? Thank you!

0 Cheers