pg47
Level 3

Client has dependent who turned 18 at the end of 2019. Dependent was claimed on 2019 return. Can that dependent be removed from parent return and refile and get the stimulus payment?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

So, are you saying that the original return was fraudulently filed ----------------- or is the amended return going to be the fraudulent return?

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

The operative question is "claimed as dependent" or "could have been claimed".  One doesn't get to pick/choose in order to get the free money.  Well, not legally.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

TAXOH
Level 11

I had a client wanting me to amend their return for the same reason and I told them I wasn't going to amend it because it was correct as filed.   What reason would you put in the explanation?

abctax55
Level 15

What reason would you put in the explanation?

Attempt to defraud ?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"What reason would you put in the explanation?"

"I got hit in the head with an anvil and forgot my kid wasn't a dependent."  It's covered in the ACME Great Book of Excuses - page 113.

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 12

So the child didn't go to school, lived on his own, supported himself,  all in 2019, and the parents didn't notice that he didn't go to school, didn't live with them, and was making enough money to support his own apartment, food, auto, health, etc?

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.