MWynn
Level 2

2)  If there was an acceptance email, it would come from Intuit, not the IRS.  The IRS does not send out such emails.  So if Intuit shows it as accepted (the software shows it as accepted) but the IRS did not process it, Intuit wouldn't know about that, so there wouldn't be a rejection email anyways.

I was not suggesting that the email would be from the IRS. However, if there were a notification email that a return was accepted, it would be proof to provide to the IRS in a penalty abatement request that Reasonable Cause criteria were met and that the taxpayer and tax professional acted with ordinary business care and prudence. 

I am simply suggesting this because taxpayers currently have to rely on their tax professionals to inform them if their return is accepted or rejected and an automatic email from the tax preparation software could be a valuable tool for the taxpayers to ensure that their returns were actually filed. While it may not be an issue I have ever had in returns I prepared, many of my clients have had issues with other tax preparers where the client thought their return or extension was filed only to learn in response to a penalty notice that it was not actually filed. 

0 Cheers