Shorebird
Level 3

Have been working on the return for the U.S. citizen who is a resident of Greece.

It was not as simple as what I had asked about how to report.  Due to the program calculation of taxable social security, the adjustment on line 21 was not the amount of the Greek Social Security.

It was the difference of the taxable social security with the Greek one deleted and the taxable amount for both the U.S. and Greek Social Security.

Another verification for the correctness of this adjustment was to work from the WHAT-IFS and take the Taxable income difference from each calculation (with both, and with only U.S. Social Security taxed)..

I think I have it right.

The other client who is living in the States is my next problem because I was told that both retirements should be taxed and a Tax Credit taken by Form 1116.  That does not seem right to me because of the Treaty.  It should also be an exclusion for someone living in the U.S. and not be taxed in both the U.S. and Greece and then the taxes paid to Greece attempted to be allowed as a tax credit by filing 1116 (which hardly ever works for the correct amount and leaves foreign tax carryovers).

It would be wonderful if someone could help me with this.

0 Cheers