rbynaker
Level 13

I think your $350 is not unreasonable (except it might be on the low side).  I hate part-year states.  Being in VA, our state return pretty much automatically fills itself out based on the federal.  There are a few obscure items (LTC insurance, 529 plans) that need adjusting at the state level, but for 80% of my VA returns it takes no extra time to do the state once the federal is done.  PY returns are a completely different animal.  I explain to folks that it's 3X the amount of work I would normally have to do.  Your 1099-INT shows how much interest you received during the year.  It does not tell you how much you earned in VA vs. OR.  So not only do we have to enter 3X the data, we can't get it from the usual "easy" sources.  We have to dig into YTD totals on bank statements.  Stock trades have to be identified by date.  With DC to OR, you probably don't have to deal with W-2 issues (except your broken VA problem), but we have a lot of DC > VA or VA > MD where you move but you're working for the same employer.  Care to guess how many times the taxpayer forgets to tell their employer that they suddenly need a different state tax w/h?  So I often have that headache to deal with (which means pulling paystubs from the time of the move).  Yeah, the more I think about it, the more $450 is sounding like a reasonable price.  Maybe closer to $500. 🙂

Rick

0 Cheers