Level 3

IS THE STATUTE OF LIMITATION TO FILE FOR A 2016 1040 REFUND EXTENDED TO JULY 15. CLIENT JUST BROUGHT IN 2016 W2.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Maxine
Level 4

And yet IR-2020-66 dated April 9th says the normal April 15 deadline to claim a refund has also been exteded to July 15, 2020.

BobKamman
Level 15

They don't make that easy to find with a Google search.  

2016 unclaimed refunds – deadline extended to July 15

For 2016 tax returns, the normal April 15 deadline to claim a refund has also been extended to July 15, 2020. The law provides a three-year window of opportunity to claim a refund.  If taxpayers do not file a return within three years, the money becomes property of the U.S. Treasury. The law requires taxpayers to properly address, mail and ensure the tax return is postmarked by the July 15, 2020, date.

Maxine
Level 4

When that notice came out I had two 2016 returns to amend, which I then set aside as less pressing than the current year returns.  I clicked on the link Lisa posted and my heart stopped.  I knew I had referenced the notice #, so I dug that out and it was hard to find.  Had to drill down at least 2x before I found it agian.  I am definitely hoping a notice trumps a frequently asked question posting.  When I prepare them I will reference the notice.  This is not the first time I have seen conflicting informaton posted on the IRS website, and probably won't be the last.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, my link above is older than this one, so youre good!    ....why its so hard for them to keep everything updated on all sites I dont understand....or get rid of all the extra sites and have ONE that is only up to date info.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-extends-more-tax-deadlines-to-cover-individuals-trusts-estates-corp...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Level 3

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

0 Cheers