Shirley79
Level 4

Anybody else finding that a residential energy credit from a prior year (specifically 2013) did not carry forward to 2019 when calculating the maximum $500 deduction?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont have many of these, but I did see one return with a lifetime limitation showing an amount from 2017.

Did it show up on the 2018 form, but just didnt carry over to 2019?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
RollTide68
Level 8

I have seen it pop up on several returns.  I just remove it and press on.

0 Cheers
Shirley79
Level 4

Yes - it was on 2018 and 2017 (I didn't check back any further than that).  The 2019 Basic was going to allow the full $500, so I manually entered what was used in 2013.  Just wondered if anybody else had found this happening.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If that client as transferred into 2019 before the 5695 was ready to go,  it may not have carried over properly.  Guess we should keep this on our radar and double check the prior years return for lifetime limitation carryovers if the 5695 is used in 2019.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Ernie
Level 9

@RollTide68 if you deleted the 5695 then you have a problem because that is what keeps track of past energy credits so you don't go over the $500.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ugh, I did have one that popped up yesterday, but nothing in the lifetime limitation smart worksheet,  figured it was a program quirk and deleted it also....Ill bet it had some old years credits in there that didnt show up....now I have to rack my brain to remember who it was!!   

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitAustin  this may be one worth looking into....

Shirley79
Level 4

I WOULDN'T HAVE FOUND IT IF I HADN'T BEEN COMPARING THE 2018 FORM 5695 TO THE 2019.

YOU'D THINK THAT UPDATING THE SOFTWARE WOULD HAVE CORRECTED IT, BUT IT DIDN'T.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.