rbynaker
Level 13

Right.  I don't know the AL rules so you'll have to look those up.  At this point I'm mostly just thinking out loud, but here's what I would try:

1) Complete your federal return, being careful to code everything TSJ.  When you're done with everything split the return for MFS.  I don't split often so make sure you keep a copy of the MFJ version.  You want to have three PS files now.

2) Be careful checking efile boxes.  Your MFJ version should have federal only.  Each of your MFS versions should have state only.

3) This might still create "duplicate SSN" problems.  My solution was always to move the duplicate files out of the data directory so PS could no longer find them.

4) Efile federal but don't do anything else until you have an Ack (then print/save your efile acceptance stuff)

5) Move the federal file out of view from PS, then move the MFS states back in and efile them.  Wait for Acks, print/save/etc.

6) Move your federal file back into the data directory.

No guarantees this will even work.  Some states can only be sent piggy-back with federal so you may end up needing to paper file something.

If you weren't having fun before, I'm sure you are by now!

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Cheers