bill-carb
Level 1

how do I transfer programs and files to a new computer

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You'll want to use Backup/Restore from within ProSeries to backup your client files to a flash drive.   

Use Windows File Explorer and copy the HOMEBASE and COMMON folders to the flash drive as well.

On the new computer, Log into your ProSeries (https://www.intuit.com/sign-in/) account and download/install Proseries on the new computer.  

Once its installed, copy/replace the HOMEBASE and COMMON folders from the flash drive to the new computer (use Windows File Explorer) and then use Backup/Restore within PS to restore the client files to the new computer from the flash drive.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

WAH
Level 1

Hi

What size flash drive do you think I should use?

thanks 

0 Cheers
akunamatatta
Level 1

Where do I find the backup/restore from within Pro Series?  I also want to to do previous years.  Can I reinstall the program disk on the new computer and just transfer the files over?

0 Cheers
akunamatatta
Level 1

where in Pro series do I find where to download the files?

0 Cheers
akunamatatta
Level 1

The Backup/Restore in Pro series?

0 Cheers
wrwright49
Level 2

Sorry to ask a dumb questions but i'm in my windows file explorer but I'm not seeing this HOMEBASE & Common folders that you said needed to be copied on the flash drive also.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

If you are in file explorer look at your hard drive for ProSeries.   Clicking on ProSeries should then show the files.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
wrwright49
Level 2

the only thing that shows on mine is databases-incognito & GPUCache

so would that be the same thing

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I can't see your screen and I'm not a computer guru, but if you click on file explorer, do you see a see a C drive on the file explorer?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
wrwright49
Level 2

OKay thank you I found the HOMEBASE just not the common

0 Cheers
wrwright49
Level 2

sorry don't mean to sound dumb but this is the first time I've had to do this so I'm learning.

I went and looked at my 2018 and it has both folders but 2019 doesn't have the common folder so I don't know where to go from here

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Look closely, it should be there.  If you can't find it, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

To be honest, since you are dealing with a prior year, as long as you have the client data files in place, you will be operational so it isn't the end of the world if you don't get the other files copied.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
wrwright49
Level 2

okay thank you for your help but the COMMON folders isn't on there so I guess I will have to call in,  Have a great day

charles
Level 3

For anyone looking at this thread, the common folder and the Homebase are in two different places.

One is under ProWinXX folder and the other is in the ProSeries/ProNetXX folder.

But they both are there!

StJohn2022
Level 1

How do I transfer files without using the flashdrive ?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Magic?  You need something to put the files on, unless you use a transfer software and have a cable with a USB connection on both sides.

Slava Ukraini!