The-Tax-Lady
Level 9

I always use Priority Mail, especially since the Certified mail and private carriers have a special address for delivery. If you set up an online acct. at USPS, Priority Mail provides free delivery confirmation, ins. value up to $50 also free. You can create an address book, pay online & drop off or schedule a free pickup. Then you have step by step tracking & delivery information to print and put in the Client's file. 

I use this method for all amended returns and any original returns that ProSeries has not provided the forms to make e-filing possible. You can put as much as will fit and still close, into the Flat rate envelope for $7.35. You should definitely use separate, sealed envelopes for each client return, but you can get 3 or 4 to fit into one Priority envelope.

Always file an extension when it's close to the due date and never believe your clients did anything they are suppose to do in a timely manner. I won't let my clients mail any type of return themselves, just to avoid this type of issue.

0 Cheers