pauljo68
Level 1

0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Related question-- NJ resident with a NJ license works in NY, so he files a NY non resident return. The NY software asks for the NY code. Say what? He doesn't have a NY license!
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4
AM: The NY return should go through with an out of state license.  The code won't show up on the IT 203 but efile should work.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I haven't finished it yet, but the errors appear in the N.Y. return. There is no NY code on NJ licenses, but the program asks for them.
0 Cheers
lauriem33
Level 4
On the federal ID worksheet does the issuing state dropdown say NJ?  
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I assume yes, but I will check tomorrow.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
Fyi, I had no data, not even NJ as a state license. I put in NJ, even before getting the dates, and the NY error went away.
0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11
NJ Drivers license works fine for NY non resident. I've done lots of them. Haven't tried it but I think the selection TP has no license may clear the error. There's some direction on the NY DOR website that I think gives more detailed direction if no license.
If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
I had no data, including no NJ designation, so NY was picking it up. I entered the NJ designation and the NY error went away.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, nobody here works at the DMV so your only option is to paper file.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

lauriem33
Level 4

I check the box Does Not have drivers license.  If client shows me another form of ID I notate it in the boxes below.  This allows efile.  

Accountant-Man
Level 12
These are errors in the NY program coming from the federal ID worksheet.
0 Cheers

By the ID Type, you should select 2 = Does not have a driver's license or state ID

0 Cheers