PPECPA
Level 4

Friends, Romans and Countrymen(and women) lend me your ears....

My daughter is a flight attendant for Delta, I'm working on my daughters taxes and on her W-2, in box 14 the following acronyms are listed with amounts next to each:

OTH FRINGE

TAFB

WA PFML

I understand that the first is other fringe benefits but unsure of the other two?  Also are all of these items considered taxable income?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

It appears TurboTax and the Googles know:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/flight-attendant-tafb-non-taxabl...

https://paidleave.wa.gov/

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
qbteachmt
Level 15

Oh; remember that Box 14 is Informational. Tax treatment should already be revealed by the W2 values.

qbteachmt
Level 15

I found:

Time Away From Base

TAFB

PPECPA
Level 4

Thanks qbteach,

I replied to the link you provided and I'm still waiting on an answer from that community.  Still, can you advise where can I find a provision or section of the code that slam-dunks this?

Much thanks! 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Still, can you advise where can I find a provision or section of the code that slam-dunks this?"

Yes. Search for the W2 instructions, to learn that Box 14 is for the employer to use for informational purposes.

And: "Depending on the airline, the TAFB ratio is usually somewhere between 3.5 to 4, meaning that for each 3.5 to 4 hours away from base, you’re guaranteed at least an hour of pay."

Per Diem Pay isn't taxable.

And I assumed you meant Washington for WA. I gave that link. Maybe that was a bad assumption?

And your daughter has employer resources that will explain the paystub to her. Does she now understand her pay + benefit structure? Maybe this is the time for her to learn about it, to help you help her.

You didn't need a new Log In at TurboTax; your info here works "there" in TurboTax. It's for everything Intuit.

BobKamman
Level 15

Let me guess.  She's a flight attendant.  Probably Alaska Air, although Delta has a presence at SEA also.  

It took about 10 seconds to find

Washington PFML is a state-mandated insurance program designed to provide paid leave to employees to receive or give care. ... Benefits began to be paid out starting January 1, 2020

Meanwhile, TAFB seems to be an airline term for qualified per diem under an accountable plan.  

Anything in Box 14 is just useful information with no real tax consequence, except for some of the local taxes that may be deductible, like CASDI.  

View solution in original post

PPECPA
Level 4

10 seconds to find....really?  You're a better tax guy than me.  I looked for hours.  Yes she is with Delta and is a flight attendant as I stated in my original post.  I looked everywhere and came up short.  I did in fact find the definition of TAFB but was unable to determine the tax effect.  

Much thanks for getting back to me.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

I didn't have to use the keyboard. Just copied and pasted "wa pfml" into the Google search engine.  OK, I guess I had to hit "Enter."  Try it yourself some time.  I didn't notice her occupation was given in the post because TAFB didn't sound like anything you would see outside of the airline industry.

You probably could have asked her, but I know how difficult it is to catch up with daughters.  My own works full-time, is in a PhD program and with her husband is raising two kids.  I do their returns, I don't even get standby flights in return.  

George4Tacks
Level 15
What does it show on her paystub? Did she ask the HR department or a secret decoder ring? It really is the responsibility of the employee (or client) to do the footwork on specialized coding a company is using. It then our job to interpret whether it is something that even goes on the tax return.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
PPECPA
Level 4

took you 10 seconds to find?

wow....you're wonderful

0 Cheers