mhlester
Level 3

Hi,

I have a new individual tax client who has not filed returns for several years. The previous CPA sent me his Lacerte data file for 2015, which appears to have loaded correctly into my 2015 program. I processed the 2015 returns and it appears to agree with the hard copy of the 2015 tax returns. I then transferred the client to 2016 successfully, including NOL data, rental property data, and depreciation. I prepared the 2016 tax return and proceeded to transfer the client to 2017. However, only basic client data transferred. No NOL data, no rental property, no depreciation, no second and third states. I added the states, updated the 2017 program to load the states, restarted my computer, made a copy of the 2017 return (because I had already entered data before I realized the problem) and re-ran the proforma from 2016 to 2017 with the same incomplete results.

One interesting point... the only client that appears in the 2016 individual module is the new client... I didn't think that would matter, but just in case it's a clue, I mention it here.

I suppose I could reinstall both the 2016 and the 2017 Lacerte programs and try again, but I hope someone might have another suggestion.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Did you lock the client? Sometimes this messes with the proforma process. It sounds like you are doing everything right. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
mhlester
Level 3

Hi, George4Tacks,

Thank you for your reply.

The return is not locked. Some other pieces of information that I thought would not matter (I am pretty sure I have done this before with other clients with no problem)...

The status of the 2016 return is "Info Pending", there is some missing data in the 2016 return

address, type of ID, nothing earth-shattering.

0 Cheers
mhlester
Level 3

I was able to fix this... it had something to do with my Lacerte path... I have two... an old one in my C drive and a new one in my Data drive... I don't think I used the Data drive for my 2017 returns. Anyway, the transfer path was going to the C drive instead of the Data drive, and somehow the basic data got into my 2017 individual module anyway, but not all the data. I pointed the proforma to my D drive instead and it works.

I am not sure I understand what exactly happened, but it's fixed now... that's all that matters, I guess.

thanks for your help!

View solution in original post