SClement
Level 2

I use negative entries a lot when entering data in numerous areas of the return.  For example, for auto mileage, I ask the client for their ending odometer reading each year.  As the appointment occurs around the same time, it give me a good idea of their annual mileage by subtracting the prior year odometer reading from the current year.  The total mileage for vehicles in the depreciation schedule allow this, but the total mileage on the Vehicle/Employee Business Expense (2106) does not allow it.

I do similar thing throughout the return and leave notes to allow me to understand how I arrived at a total.  This year I am finding that Personal Property Tax box on Sch A does not allow negative entries.  I use negative entries here because clients can remember their total vehicle fees, but don't know the non-deductible amount.

I also found this year the entry field for repairs on the rental schedule does not allow negative entries.  I have a situation where the client provided a number for total repairs, but I wanted to leave tracks as to the amount moved to other lines, such as painting, plumbing, maintenance. 

If this is a trend to move toward not allowing negative entries on the form, please, please reverse this.  It is our responsibility to review the return to make sure that it is correct, not the software's responsibility to limit us to only positive entries.  Does any one else have similar thoughts?