Leland596
Level 1

Hello and thank you in advance.

I got a request from a successor CPA who uses Lacerte if I would be willing to backup my ex-clients 2019 file onto a thumb drive and mail it to them. Reason is so they have any carryover info and they have the twenty pages of depreciation schedules. 

I don't know if the client file contains any sensitive information about my firm. I researched this and all I found was an answer stating the client file sent is the same as you see it in your system. Does that mean my EFIN, PTIN, EIN and firm info is included? 

Warner

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Leland596 wrote:

Hello and thank you in advance.

I got a request from a successor CPA who uses Lacerte if I would be willing to backup my ex-clients 2019 file onto a thumb drive and mail it to them. Reason is so they have any carryover info and they have the twenty pages of depreciation schedules. 

I don't know if the client file contains any sensitive information about my firm. I researched this and all I found was an answer stating the client file sent is the same as you see it in your system. Does that mean my EFIN, PTIN, EIN and firm info is included? 

Warner

No, those are contained in your prep file. e.g. Screen 1 has the preparer as 1= you with all your name, ptin, etc. The new preparer will only see the 1, since they do not have your prep file. 

By successor, I assume you have sold your practice and you have written client permission to give their information to the new CPA.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If this is a CPA that your client ditched you for and moved to them, I wouldn't give up the computer file, they can do their own work.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

"If this is a CPA that your client ditched you for and moved to them, I wouldn't give up the computer file, they can do their own work."

Me too, at least not unless it was accompanied by a small fee.  Ok, I lied - a large fee 😀

Slava Ukraini!
Leland596
Level 1

Thank you for clearing that up. I have written permission from the client. My insurance company provided a letter that they said I should have the new CPA sign. It was a long time client and I just got paid in full. I don't want to create any animosity. The new CPA has a copy of the tax return. That shows my PTIN and EIN. It sounds like there is not any sensitive info about me other than what you described.