rbynaker
Level 13

I've heard (so file this under "things I read on the Internet that might not be true") that there is pressure from certain states regarding the information that they allow the software to carry over from year to year.  There is also pressure from the participants of the annual "security summit" to prevent information from carrying over (like it used to).

Software developers have different responses to this (I think most/all of them participate in the security summits).  Drake has been very transparent about it.  When they carry over information they use the rules from the most limiting state.  So if I transfer a return with a MD return, they will transfer the bank info but force me to verify it.  If I transfer a return with a MD return and a VA non-resident return, they will NOT transfer the bank info (because VA does not "allow" it).

Some of the inconsistencies I've seen when transferring/not transferring:

Bank info
License info
State ID # on W-2/1099s
Locality code (state returns)

When I was running both Drake and ProSeries they would each blame different "dehancements" on the security summit / state requirements.  So clearly they have some leeway in how they interpret these suggestions from the taxing authorities.

Rick