FMES
Level 3

Has anyone seen this Rejection Error?  This is an original filing.  I don't know how, but if the one submission was already accepted, how can I be sure it was.  Currently, the Status is a red "Rejected".  Any thoughts?  

Filing Rejected - This filing was rejected by the taxing agency on October 11, 2020. You need to fix errors that caused the rejection before it can be accepted by the agency. Follow these instructions for fixing the errors and you can transmit again at no additional charge.

Error Code: R0000-194

Reject: Submission must not be a duplicate of a previously accepted submission.

Reject Resolution: Return must not be a duplicate of a previously accepted filing.

Error Code: R0000-932-02

Form: 0(00)
Field: 090299662(/efile:Return/efile:ReturnHeader/efile:Filer/efile:PrimarySSN)
Occurrence: 00000(0001)

Reject: If "Amended Return" or (Superseded for 1120/1120S/1120-F/1041/1065) checkbox is not checked, then taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic filing for the filing type and tax period indicated in the tax filing.

Reject Resolution: This filing has already been submitted. Verify that you have the correct identifying information on the filing. You may need to print and mail your filing.

This filing was postmarked by the transmitter October 10, 2020 22:05 PM CAST.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Two possibilities:

Your client used the IRS nonfiler tool so they could get the EIP payment

Someone else filed a tax return using their SSN

Ex-AllStar
FMES
Level 3

Will Lacerte be able to provide any information regarding these two issues? If not, can they help with this in anyway, or do I/the client need to contact the IRS?  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you need to contact IRS. I don't think Lacerte can help.

First ask the client if they used the IRS website tool.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

Lacerte/Intuit can't help.  The IRS has already received a tax return using your client's SSN.  Nothing can change that fact, especially with 4.5 days to go.

As Susan said, it is caused by either:

1) Your client (despite what they may claim....) clicked on the wrong thing when trying to get their stimulus check and filed a return (usually, showing $1 in interest income).

If this is the case, you *could* file an amended/superceding return... but.... wait for it... you can't efile an amended return unless the original return was filed using Lacerte.

2) A legit mistake somewhere along the way by someone filing but using your client's SSN (transposition error, etc)  - it does happen.

3) Identity theft.

The ONLY option is to paper file. 

And you should advise your client to ASAP monitor/check banking & credit card activity to see if it IS identity theft.  If it is, the IRS will get involved & your client will be issued a number to enter for future efiling purposes.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

FMES
Level 3

Not the answer I was hoping for... but thank you abctax55 for the excellent response.  fm

abctax55
Level 15

You're welcome ???

I had one last weekend....the client was ADAMANT he didn't muck things up while trying to get his stimulus check.  Upon further review (it is Sunday & football is on...) he checked back on the IRS website and discovered, low & behold, he HAD filed a $ 1 return.   You might have your client check the IRS website (if they'll admit they did do something/anything vis a vis the stimulus mess), because the *good* news would be that's the problem instead of identity theft.

Hopefully, your client is local so a paper file isn't a big deal.  Mine wasn't, so it got a bit complicated.

Good luck, and let us know what caused the problem in case it IS something else that none of us have seen before.  

Just a thought, HAVE you tried efiling it a couple of times?  Sometimes there are gremlins, especially if you have any PDF's attached.  I did have one last year that I got that reject, tried efiling a couple more times & then it went thru.  NO clue why...the return did have a large PDF attachment.

( Generic Comment )"
FMES
Level 3

More good info.   As for paper filing, the client is on a different continent 😞   I will keep  you posted. fm

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Crap... mine was last weekend, so I had more time.  AND he was only one state away.

You DO have ten days to perfect/resolve the reject (I'm not sure if it's from the time of the reject, or from Oct 15th) or resort to paper file.  You're supposed to attach the reject notice to the paper file, and Form 8???  to 'splain the paper filing.  Just FYI.

( Generic Comment )"
FMES
Level 3

Been there done that before... I have a number of abroad and new clients each year... and each year have a few cases that call for the paper filing.  Yet, I have never had this rejection file before.  Thanks again for you assistance and I will keep you posted as to the resolution.  fm

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Aren't deadlines fun.... have a good evening, and good luck with the next few days.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

You DO have ten days to perfect/resolve the reject (I'm not sure if it's from the time of the reject, or from Oct 15th) or resort to paper file.  

If I remember correctly (which is questionable), I think it is 5 days for 1040s (and all types of extensions), and only business entity returns are 10 days.

abctax55
Level 15

Hmmm  -  could be.  I just went thru it with an Illinois partnership & S-corp that gave me fits.  Those were ten days (and it took me 9.5.. )  🙂

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@abctax55 wrote:

Sometimes there are gremlins...

Now, who still remember those little monsters?  And that reminds me of Furby (also of yester-years).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar