danielking
Level 1

Hello:

I am trying to file a Fiscal year 1041 return for an estate.  This is the third year due to an IRA distribution with estate as beneficiary and so it is not an initial return or a final return.  The fiscal year is 6/1/20xx - 5/31/20xx.

I am receiving an error that it is a short year return (under 364 days) and so the return must either be initial or final.  Since it is a full year and it is not initial or final, I cannot seem to file the return due to critical error.  Is there a workaround or am I missing something that I need to check?  I did designate that the fiscal year end is May and which is consistent with previous years.

Thanks very much for your advice.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

There is no need to make any Tax Year Information input in Screen 2. Remove that and you will loose the diagnostic. Entering the Fiscal Year End (MM) in Screen 1 is sufficient to create what you have in Screen 2. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

danielking
Level 1

Thank you George, that solved the issue.

I had entered the dates under 2.1 miscellaneous information, which in looking more closely is exclusively for short tax years.  The majority of our fiscal year estate returns are short year so I am used to entering information there.  Under page 1, box 5 entering the end month (05) automatically populates the dates on the return and I was able to successfully e-file.

You help is very much appreciated.  Dan