michael-zhang
Level 2

I meet a wired question. I know that the rental real estate loss allowance is a federal tax deduction available to taxpayers who own and rent property in the U.S. Up to $25,000 may be deducted as a real estate loss per year as long as the individual's adjusted gross income is $100,000 or less. However, one of my client has two rental properties on schedule E. The first rental property has loss of $87,915, an one schedule E line 26 of the tax return, all $87,915 is tax deductible. The second rental property has loss of $9,733 and total not deductible on schedule E, and the whole $9,733 was sent to the form 8582. 

So my question is, why this person can take and deduct the whole $87,915 rental loss (over $25,000 limitation) of the first property on his individual tax return in Lacerte? Is there any rule that I did not realize?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It likely has to do with the input for the property. My best guess is that Rental #1 is marked as Not Passive. Look at the input in one of the top sections for General Information. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

sjrcpa
Level 15

Or, was Property 1 sold?

Ex-AllStar